Burglaries occur every day in America. It's important to make sure that you, as a homeowner, are prepared and proactive in preventing home invasions.
Here are some tips on how to not become a burglary victim:
1. Never leave doors unlocked, even if you are only leaving for a few minutes, or are working in the back yard.
2. Do not leave windows open overnight or while you are away from your home.
3. Close and lock your garage door. Do not leave garage door openers in unlocked vehicles or in plain view in locked vehicles.
If you arrive home and there are signs of a burglary (such as a broken window, forced entry through a door, etc.):
1. CALL 911 IMMEDIATELY! from a cell phone or a neighbor's house. Do not take the chance of confronting a burglar inside your home.
2. Do not touch anything or clean anything up. Latent fingerprints obtained on surfaces, doors or windows may help officers discover the identity of the burglars.